Parents overseas? Here’s how to get them an Australian visa and travel exemption

Rate this post

Overseas-based parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents will now be allowed to enter Australia, bringing relief to many migrants. But they’ll need to be fully vaccinated and have their paperwork in order before their visit.

Who can apply for a travel exemption to come to Australia?

To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, Australia closed its borders to non-citizens and non-residents in March 2020. But immediate family members (a spouse, de facto partner, child or a parent/legal guardian of a dependent child) of Australian citizens and permanent residents were allowed to apply for a travel exemption so they could still enter.

From 1 November, the definition of immediate family will also include parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents. The definition of parents includes biological parents, legal (including adoptive) parents, step-parents as well as parents-in-law.

What visa can they apply for?

Based on the nationality of the applicant, parents can apply for one of the following three short-term visas.

  1. eVisitor Visa (Subclass 651): Citizens of the following European countries can apply for this visa: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Republic of San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Vatican City.
  • Length of stay: Up to three months.
  • Processing time: Between 31 days and four months
  • Fee: No fee

This is a fairly lengthy processing time but a way to reduce that processing time is to lodge the visa application first and then apply for a travel-ban exemption.  If the travel exemption is approved, it can trigger the visa processing team to pick up that case.

  1. Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601): Citizens of the following countries can apply for the Electronic Travel Authority (ETA): Brunei, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR of China), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and the United States.
  • Length of stay: Up to three months
  • Processing time: Unconfirmed
  • Fee: $20

While the Department of Home Affairs website doesn’t list a processing time for the ETA, the government has released a trial app called AustralianETA app. As long as you’ve got a smartphone or a smart device with a camera and your original passport in hand, you can apply for the ETA using that app and decisions could come through within a few days.

  1. Visitor Visa (subclass 600): Citizens of all countries (including the ones mentioned above) can apply for this visa.
  • Length of stay: Up to 12 months
  • Processing time: Eight to 20 months.
  • Fee: $145

This is the standard visitor visa that’s open to all nationalities.  It can be granted for up to 12 months.  For citizens of countries that can apply for the ETA, the Visitor Visa (Subclass 600) may be a better option if they are seeking a longer stay in Australia.

The processing time can be lengthy but the way to get around those types of processing time frames is to lodge a travel-ban-exemption request immediately after lodging the visitor visa.”

How should parents apply for a travel exemption?

Overseas-based parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents can visit the Department of Home Affairs Travel Exemption Portal to apply for a travel exemption.

The person applying will need to create an online account and sign in. Once in, fill out the form, which is fairly straight forward and attach colour, scanned copies of documents that establish:

  1. The identity of the Australian citizen or permanent resident, such as passports, birth certificates, citizenship certificates and visas.
  2. The identity of the parent of the Australian citizen or permanent resident, such as passports, birth certificates and citizenship certificates.
  3. The relationship between the applicant and the Australian citizen or permanent resident, such as birth certificates and family booklets.
  4. The vaccination status of the foreign national.

Currently, TGA approved or recognised COVID-19 vaccinations for the purpose of travel to Australia are:

  • Comirnaty (Pfizer)
  • Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca)
  • Covisheld (AstraZeneca)
  • Spikevax (Moderna)
  • Janssen-Cilag (Johnson & Johnson)
  • Coronavac (Sinovac)
  • BBIBP-CorV (Sinopharm) (for 18-60 years old)
  • Covaxin (Bharat Biotech)

But before attaching all the documents in the portal, remember to re-name the files to make it easier for the Australian Border Force team processing it on the other end.

If the documents you are uploading aren’t issued in English, make sure you have documents translated using certified translators in your country.  You can also use an Australian-based NAATI-accredited translator. All of this can be done digitally via the NAATI website. Once you find an accredited translator you’ll need to share colour, scanned copies of the documents that require translation and they will send translated versions back to you.

When can parents arrive?

It is recommended foreign nationals get their visa and travel exemption approved before booking flights.

In terms of dates parents can arrive, at the moment, it depends on each state and territory, and what quarantine requirements they have in place.

“The two states that have eased restrictions for international travellers from 1 November are Victoria and New South Wales, allowing fully vaccinated travellers to enter Australia without the need for hotel quarantine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

x Đóng
Website thi thử ôn tập - bài test BẰNG TIẾNG VIỆT để trở thành công dân Úc
x Đóng
Website thi thử ôn tập - bài test BẰNG TIẾNG VIỆT để trở thành công dân Úc